Stupid lag spikes caused malfunction of machine, now I can't log in.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stupid lag spikes caused malfunction of machine, now I can't log in.

Post by Grimtongue on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:17 am

During yet another of these 20+ second lag spikes, I was in the GUI for my force field making some adjustments. Suddenly, I got disconnected for "End of Stream." I've tried repeatedly to log in, but it doesn't even let me join before giving the "connection lost: end of stream" or "communication error"

I looked at dynamap and the problem is fairly obvious; somehow that lag spike changed my projector to make a giant, SOLID cylinder of force-field blocks. I don't know if anyone else will be able to go anywhere near this thing without being disconnected.

DO NOT roll back this area. It will not fix the problem and would likely cause me to lose my ME drives. The projector has been there for much longer than the other stuff at that location.

If possible, move my character back to spawn. Hopefully, I can just fly over there and shut it off with the remote control.

This is frustrating, I just wanted to log on and adjust the field size before I go to bed. I just wanted to spend tomorrow building something nice.
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stupid lag spikes caused malfunction of machine, now I can't log in.

Post by LordtheNth on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:49 am

Made a stupid mistake and wandered too close to Grim's base while cleaning out some taint. Can no longer log in either.
LordtheNth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimtongue on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 am

As an addendum to the original post, a solid force field of this size does not cause problems under normal conditions. I've made much larger force fields than this on Oasis FTB without negative side-effects. Every time there is a giant lag spike, however, the server decides to shit the bed if I'm doing anything more complex than trying to break same block 50 times while I bang my head on the keyboard.

This issue is 100% server-side.
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:38 pm

I restarted the host last night, and ran OPIS to find the source of the lag. There is only 2 things that even remotely could BARELY be the issue. And all it is, is, a crap ton of tile entities in the same chunk and they normally only cause fpg lag. Tile entities are a hybrid of entities and normal blocks.

Is it even possible that the lag is connection lag between you and the server? During these times try pinging the IP and see how it respondes. Cuz it seems to be happening during certain times of the day.

Paxination
Admin

View user profile http://oasis-ftb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LordtheNth on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:05 pm

We're able to log in now, yes?

Edit: Nope, still crashing
LordtheNth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimtongue on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Paxination wrote:I restarted the host last night, and ran OPIS to find the source of the lag.  There is only 2 things that even remotely could BARELY be the issue.  And all it is, is, a crap ton of tile entities in the same chunk and they normally only cause fpg lag.  Tile entities are a hybrid of entities and normal blocks.

Is it even possible that the lag is connection lag between you and the server?  During these times try pinging the IP and see how it respondes.  Cuz it seems to be happening during certain times of the day.

It's not a latency issue - ping is typically under 200ms.  It's not an fps issue - I get the "end of stream" error message as soon as I attempt to log in, long before anything renders.  I have made much larger force fields than this one on this server without this problem.  Something must have happened during that lag spike that messed up the projector.

These frequent lag spikes are server-side, they happen to everyone online, and the chat locks up during these lag spikes.  If the cause is a mystery, then we need to get several people online at the same time to begin troubleshooting.  I highly suspect the problem is related to the insanely-slow chunk loading that's been a problem for the past 7-8 days.
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Grimtongue wrote:I highly suspect the problem is related to the insanely-slow chunk loading that's been a problem for the past 7-8 days.

Well this is news to me. Wasnt it a week ago that I changed the setting on chickenchunks so that players chunk loaders become disabled after a week?

Paxination
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Oh and it can very well still be a latency issue. On one of the other servers we have, we use to experience lag spikes during the same hours everyday. And it happend for several weeks. Hence why I asked 'NEXT TIME WHEN IT HAPPENS PING THE SERVER IP' and let me know. Have to rule out everything. But in the mean time I think I will restore the chickenchunks config back to what it was and restart the server and see if that works.

/ss and /forge tps all show the servers TPS is just fine. The only thing OPIS shows is a chunk that gweedo lives in the 506 tile entities, but that causes fps lag for those near it. And your not near it. Oh and a chunk with about 100 animals in it. But once again that is FPS, and not TPS lag.

Paxination
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimtongue on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:26 pm

Thinking back on it, this problem started the day after the chicken chunks change. I don't see why chicken chunks would cause such major chunk-loading errors all over the map, but the correlation is there.

I've been checking latency to the server all day. It's been between 110ms and 200ms every time that I checked. I have been checking forums for other FTB servers and I've found plenty of examples where lag spikes and force field projectors caused this EXACT same problem. The solution in most cases was to have someone shut off the projector with the remote control, or cut off its power supply remotely.

In some cases Worldedit was used to fix this by replacing all of the forcefield blocks in the offending region with smooth stone. This allowed people to enter the region without being forcibly disconnected by the server.
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimtongue on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Confirmed: problem was with the projector modules - somehow a whole bunch of modules got stuffed in there, I'm guessing this was due to the lag spike while I was in the projector GUI.

My generators ran out of fuel a few minutes ago and I was able to log in without issues. I recovered the missing modules from the projector, but there were more modules in there than should have fit normally. Very likely, this was the problem.
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 pm

But we are still having the issue of the random mega lag spikes?

Paxination
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimtongue on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:06 am

Paxination wrote:But we are still having the issue of the random mega lag spikes?

I've been on the server for the past hour and there has only been one mega lag spike so far. However, chunks are still loading extremely slowly, taking up to a minute or more to get them all loaded on Far render. I keep having to hit F3+A because I can't see where I'm going due to all the invisible chunks.

I'll make a separate post for the other issue I encountered with enderquarry.
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top