Repeated "read timed out" and server crashes - cause unknown

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repeated "read timed out" and server crashes - cause unknown

Post by Grimtongue on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 am

The crashes and disconnections are preceded by huge lag spikes.  I've been checking dynamap to see whether it actually crashed - most of the time it's just a disconnect, but the client shows a communication error.  There were several crashes in a row around 11:45 PM and since then I can't stay logged in or do anything in the game.  I can connect and walk around my base, but all blocks do that fake 'break instantly' thing and within 30 seconds I get a "read timed out"  

When I do get in the game, the only chunks in my base that load are the ones already loaded by the chunkloader - nothing else loads.

I checked my ping to Oasis - it fluctuates wildly between 132ms and 2000+
Testing my connection shows it is fine.

I've only been breeding bees and collecting endstone during the past hour, nothing that explains the problems.  The only machine activity at my base is the ME system, which is online, and a few 3x3 auto-farms.

update: after 30 minutes, it appears that the server is just repeatedly crashing - dynamap keeps going down and I keep getting the red X on my server list. I'm going to bed, I hope this is fixed for tomorrow.

update 2: Checked the server this morning, it's still going on. checked again from work, dynamap keeps giving "could not update map: error" as of 10:00 AM

Last edited by Grimtongue on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update.)
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hypothesis on the crashes

Post by Grimtongue on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:03 pm

3:30 PM, server continues to (probably) crash about every minute or two
I noticed a pattern on dynamap in-game clock:

18:57 - server starts up
22:00 to 00:30 - Dynamap shows "could not update map: error"

About a minute later, the map refreshes and the clock is back to 18:57 again.  I watched this happen a few times in a row while I was having some coffee.  From what I remember, it was doing this last night too.

It occurred to me that around 18:57 in game time, I was setting up a cyclic assembler to craft some bricks when my client suddenly exited to the desktop.  When I restarted and logged back in, the schematic had vanished from the machine as well as from my inventory, also the stone from the recipe was missing.  I removed that machine and put it back into storage, then went to check on my bees.  I was in game for few minutes before the server started repeatedly disconnecting me.  After being disconnected the next time, I noticed that the assembler had re-appeared and my bee products were missing from my inventory - as if I'd been rolled back a few minutes.  Dynamap does not show the cyclic assembler or the other things that I had attached to it - so I'm not sure if it's really there or not.

A Google search showed that a glitched schematic in a cyclic assembler is known to cause crashes.  If that's what's happening, then rolling back that spot to just before I placed the assembler should fix it.  I placed the machine at about 11:40 PM last night.  
The coordinates are:
x= -3836
y= 100 (I think, it's hard to tell on the map)
z= -7261

If you roll back that whole chunk back to the way it was at 11:30 PM, it'll be fine; however, if you go back further than that there would be unpredictable consequences from the 3 mffs machines below the platform.

Last edited by Grimtongue on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit times on dynamap. basically, it's every minute or two)
Grimtongue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Repeated "read timed out" and server crashes - cause unknown

Post by Paxination on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Just updating this as we figured out the issue. It was probably a glitched cyclic assembler or a glitched schematic INSIDE OF a cyclic assembler. After removing the block, the issue is gone.

Paxination
Admin

View user profile http://oasis-ftb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Repeated "read timed out" and server crashes - cause unknown

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top